Human Resources FAQs
OSSR'S Most Frequently Asked Questions
What are the eligibility requirements for hiring someone?
• Undergraduate Students: Must be currently enrolled in courses for the semester in which they want to be hired. **UG students who have graduated are not eligible to be hired without being enrolled in courses.
• Graduate Students: Must be enrolled in both the preceding and ensuing semester in which they want to work. Enrollment is verified at time of hiring.
• Staff and Post-Docs: An approved job description and funding availability.
What is the process to hire a student?
• PIs must complete the OSSR HR Submission Form (link).
• Student employees must complete new hire paperwork which may include the following: I-9, offer letters, student requisitions, and/or NESSIE new hire.
• GA, RA, and GH: receive and complete paperwork at OSSR
• All other Students: receive paperwork from OSSR and complete the process at Student Services Building (SSB)
• Students may not begin to work until their new hire process has been completed.
What is the difference between a Research Assistant (RA), a Graduate Assistant (GA), a Graduate Hourly Student (GH) and a Teaching Assistant (TA)?
• GA: provides administrative duties.
• RA: provides research support to faculty’s projects.
• GH: provides either administrative or research support on an hourly basis. This position is NOT eligible for a tuition waiver.
• TA: provides instruction and educational support services. OSSR does not appoint TAs.
• You can read more about the differences between these positions at http://grad.uic.edu/cms/?pid=1000081.
Is my assistant eligible to earn a Tuition Waiver?
•Students must meet both funding and registration requirements in order to receive tuition waivers.
•Appointments must be appointed between 25 and 67% for at least 3/4 of the term (91 calendar days in fall or spring semester, 41 calendar days during the summer session).
•International students’ appointments may not exceed 50% FTE total during the academic year.
•Waivers DO NOT cover the tuition differential or any other student fees.
•Student must report their waivers to Financial Aid.
How do Undergraduate and Graduate Hourly Employees submit their hours?
•Hours are approved on a biweekly basis using Web Time Entry (link to UIC student page).
•Hours must be submitted by the employee no later than 12PM the Friday prior to the end of the pay period (Link to BW pay schedule).
•Per University policy, direct supervisors must approve all hours. Hours will be emailed to the employee’s supervisor by OSSR and supervisor email approval should be sent to OSSR no later than Monday at noon.
How do I access my Earnings Statement and other HR related documents?
•Go to https://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu/cf/index.cfm
•You can make changes to payroll (i.e. direct deposit) in the compensation tab. Once a year during the enrollment period you can make changes to your benefits in the benefit tab. At this site you are also able to access announcements, holiday schedules, earning statements, training, and policies and labor agreement information.
What is Effort Certification?
•Effort is the commitment of an employee to a specified amount of time on a project. Effort certification is the University’s implementation of federal policies regarding effort.
•Any non-hourly employee that receives funds from an external project is required to certify annually.
•Effort certification occurs during the fall.